Re: [EXIM] Vacation facility with no local users

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Richard Gilbert
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Vacation facility with no local users
On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Richard Gilbert wrote:

> This made me wonder about providing a central intelligent vacation
> facility with Exim. (I am still using 2.03.) Exim already provides a
> "once" facility with the autoreply transport but I also wanted to apply
> the additional /usr/ucb/vacation conditions, viz. don't reply unless the
> recipient's address appears in the To: or Cc: fields, and don't reply if
> the From: field contains '-request' or the message precedence is bulk or
> junk. It seemed to me that these extra conditions could only be applied by
> using the condition option on a director.

... or with appropriate conditions in a filter file. In particular,
there is the "personal" condition, which does the To:/Cc: thing.

> The way I envisage the facility being used is that the user gets an extra
> (local) delivery address via the aliases file, e.g.
>
> R.Gilbert: cs1jrg@???,vacation-cs1jrg

... and you could use a director to process all vacation-* addresses
with a centralized filter file.

... but whether this is "better" than your approach, I don't know.