Re: [EXIM] migration from sendmail to exim

Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: eximlist
CC: James Dehnert, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [EXIM] migration from sendmail to exim

eximlist@??? said:
> What I want to do is figure out how to configure exim so that it will
> recognize and respect whatever method of locking sendmail is doing on
> mailspool files, and also so that it will (in addition to whatever it
> normally does) lock them in the same manner so sendmail will recognize
> the locks that exim makes.

The easiest answer is to do delivery the same way as sendmail does -
which is to hand delivery off to another program (probably /bin/mail).
You need to set up a pipe delivery into the MDA in the same way that
sendmail does.

An alternative method is to strace (truss on Solaris, other names on
other unices) the MDA and find out how it locks the mail spool.

However if you do delivery from multiple machines to an NFS mounted
mail spool using mbox files you *will* lose mail. The only questions
are how much and how often. NFS is not a reliable filesystem for
mail. Things are slightly safer if you do all local delivery on one
machine and only read on the others.

If you think that NFS semantics are up to mail then try running a Cyrus
IMAP server over NFS - the db file structures Cyrus uses break NFS
locking every time.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]