Re: [EXIM] Exim and headers

Autor: Leonardo Boselli
A: Bart Schaefer
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Assumptes vells: Re: [EXIM] Headers rewriting or not
Assumpte: Re: [EXIM] Exim and headers
Sorry for late reply ... but I were extremely busy these days and
missed this reply: It is clear and the suggestion works fine ...
but just a note, very EXIM related: Even Exim does not insert a
mandatory or Sender is enought, if it is different from from ?

On 21 Mar 99, at 11:19, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Leonardo Boselli wrote:
> > I had to put a machine listening on that address and beside
> > forwarding to the correct address, bouncing back the message
> [...]
> > From: "john Smith" <js@???> (By way of lazy@??? )
> > Of course the autoresponder replied to original sender.
> > What would have been the correct way to operate, both in our and
> > their part ?
>
> By "on their part" do you mean lazy@???? It's not his fault, except
> for using Eudora, which puts that silly comment in the From: field
> instead of properly inserting a Resent-From:.
>
> Bounce messages and other error reports should be sent to the SMTP
> reverse-path, that is the address in the MAIL FROM: element of the
> protocol conversation, which frequently (but not always, though it's a
> server bug when it does not) appears in the Return-Path: field. (See
> RFC821 sections 2, 3.1, 3.2, 3.6, 4.1.1, RFC1123 sections 5.2.8, 5.2.13,
> 5.3.3, and RFC822 section 4.3.1, 4.4.3, 4.4.4). Note that this means that
> the Return-Path: should have been set to <lazy@???> on delivery of the
> re-sent message, replacing the Return-Path: <js@???> field if one
> was present.
>
> If the Return-Path: was incorrect, the SMTP server on the machine where
> you set up the .forward file needs repair. If your autoresponder used the
> From: address instead of Return-Path:, then either the autoresponder needs
> repair, or you used an autoresponder which conforms to RFC822 4.4.4, in
> which case it's not an approriate responder for generating error reports.
>
> In general, errors of this sort should be mailed back by the SMTP server
> itself rather than by a program under user control (like .forward). One
> way to cause this to happen without having to reconfigure your SMTP server
> is to have the program that is run from .forward print a suitable response
> to its standard error stream, and then exit with a nonzero status. The
> SMTP server will interpret this as failure of the .forward program, and
> (in most common configurations) will therefore send back a bounce message
> containing the error output.

Leonardo Boselli
nucleo informatico e telematico
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile