Re: [EXIM] Melissa, Papa & Happy99 Filters

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Ashley Kleynhans
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Melissa, Papa & Happy99 Filters

ashleyk@??? said:
> When I try "exim -bf" on my mail filter that I attempted to make for
> the Melissa virus, I received the following error message:   Filter
> error: unavailable filtering command "fail" near line 8 of filter file

fail is only available in the system filter - as is freeze. As an
individual user your only options are to deliver into a different
file/pipe/directory.

Shame really - I think fail should probably be available to user
filters, it can be enabled used allow_system_actions on the
filter/forwardfile director, but this also allows freeze which should
not be allowed for individual users IMHO. Having said that allowing
users to fail mail gives them a new gun to shoot themselves with - but
they are quite capable of causing havoc without that. You could fake a
fail by forwarding the mail to an address which will definitely fail,
but the error message returned will be confusing.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]