Re: [EXIM] System filters

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Nigel Metheringham
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [EXIM] System filters

bbowler@??? said:
> But the 'fail' is going to go back to the sender, who in this case is
> a 'bad guy' (but perhaps s/he doesn't know it) and since said sender
> was (perhaps inadvertantly) trying to make my life difficult, to heck
> with whether or not I make the sender do a little extra work :-)

The fail rule prevents delivery of the virus.
It also returns a bounce message to the originator, normally without a
proper attachment unless you have the parameter to return the body in
an error message set high. If the sender is innocently sending this
stuff out then you have informed them, and the URL in the error message
should give them a pointer how to fix it. If they have other problems
about that they can always come back to you. Freezing the message
gives you the oppotunity to do all the same things manually - now since
I am used to admining systems with tens of thousands of users, anything
that is done manually is seriously bad news. If you have 3 users and
your cat on the system, by all means do it manually.

d@??? said:
> And if the mail is for a mailing list and the reply-to is set to the
> mailing list address and there are several people running the same
> filter on that particular list.. imagine the loop.

If you are on a mailing list where a bounce (a fail in a system filter
does a proper bounce on a message) sends it back to the list, then you
need to find the admin of that list and kill them slowly for RFC abuse.

pollywog@??? said:
> That reminds me of something that happened a few days ago. I believe
> I was bouncing someone elses's posts to a list because I had
> sender_verify_reject set and the bounces were going back to the list.
> I am not sure I was the culprit but it is a suspicion. I immediately
> unset that option.

The list is broken. Badly broken. You are not sending anything back
to the list address, you are rejecting a message, so the bounce should
maintainer (human or mechanical).

Don't stand for seriously broken list configs. The answer to having
large open vats of petrol around is to get the things properly
containerised, not just put a small no smoking sign up and hope for the
best! BTW I tend to report mailing lists that are badly configured and
where the admin is seriously clueless (ie won't believe he has a
problem) to the upstream providers abuse handling - a bad mailing list
is as bad as spam.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]