Re: [EXIM] Slooow Exim (emergency !)

Author: Malcolm Ray
To: Leonardo Boselli
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Slooow Exim (emergency !)
> Again problems after shutting down the machine: Until friday
> morning the machine worked fine, at 14 was shut down and at 18
> restarted.
> exim did not went up regularly, but this occurred regularly, so i did
> not worry, and started manually.
> It worked until this night, this morning it became slow and started
> to "refuse" mail ...
> well, not to refuse, only to wait 45 to 70 seconds from
> acknowlwedge of connection to the prompt, forcing most UA to
> timeout.
> This from any machine, dns is ok, and line too .
> I tried to let it start from inetd instead that as a daemon but the
> result changed only thet it was a bit more slow.
> The load of machine is very low, and there remain about 70 MB free
> after having exim running.
> it is 2.05 on a debian 2.1 ...
> What can i do to avoid this slowness (after the prompt has come,
> the program run regular !!!)

Try this:

exim -d9 -bh 10.0.0.1

This will simulate a connection from IP address 10.0.0.1 (just an example
address; you should try this with addresses more applicable to your
environment), showing plenty of debugging output. This will probably
reveal where the delay is occurring.

--
Malcolm Ray                           University of London Computer Centre