Re: [EXIM] filter limitations and replacements

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dan Shearer
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] filter limitations and replacements
On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Dan Shearer wrote:

> My question is this: if I deliver all mail first to a procmail rule as per
> the example in spec.txt what do I lose through not doing this in a system
> filter? I would have to set an X-loop: header and forward to myself after
> doing all the processing, and procmail doesn't (I think) have any way of
> tying into the concept of significant deliveries like the filter language
> does.

What you lose by using procmail or other separate delivery agent instead
of an Exim filter, either as an individual or using a system filter, is
the retention of handling a single message. Once Exim passes it to
procmail, Exim has "delivered" it. Consequently, if procmail wants to
forward it anywhere else, it has to resubmit it as a new message.
Whether this actually matters to you or not depends entirely on your
requirements. From a system filter, procmail can be run as a trusted
user, so it can resubmit messages with the original sender still intact.
An ordinary user using procmail cannot do this (unless procmail is
setuid).