Re: [EXIM] Return Receipt

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Andreas Gietl
CC: exim
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Return Receipt
On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Andreas Gietl wrote:

> I need Exim to give a Return Receipt on sent e-mails. I could not find
> anything about it on exim.org. Perhaps anybody knows whether this is
> possible and how to enable this feature.

The general opinion is that Return-receipt-to is an obsolete idea which
should no longer be used. The current thinking is to handle this kind of
thing in the MUA, not the MTA.

If what you want to do is to cause Exim to send back a message whenever
it delivers (locally) a message that contains a Return-Receipt-To
header, you can do this by adding a shadow transport to your local
delivery transport, using shadow_transport_condition to trigger it only
when the relevant header is present in the message (and there is a
sender to return something to).