[EXIM] Headers rewriting or not

Author: Leonardo Boselli
Subject: [EXIM] Headers rewriting or not
Recently i had this problem:
On of our addresses point to a machine that never had to receive e-
mail from outside. Unfortunately without our acknowledgement
some one published it in a printed directory so we are receiving a
lot of official mail to that address instead of correct one.
I had to put a machine listening on that address and beside
forwarding to the correct address, bouncing back the message
adding a comment telling the sender to use the right address next
time.
Once i received a complaint "We NEVER send this message to
you !!!! why did you received ? Why did you send us this message
?"
Tracing the headers we discovered that someone had bounced the
message to us and only trace was a (By way of x@???) in the from
address _as a comment_ that is
From: "john Smith" <js@???> (By way of lazy@??? )
Of course the autoresponder replied to original sender.
What would have been the correct way to operate, both in out and
their part ?
How to avoid these problems ?
BTW the autoresponder was on a machine not using exim, since I
was not able to enable it from exim using the vacation program in
a .forward file : any hint ?

Leonardo Boselli
nucleo informatico e telematico
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile