[EXIM] Local Delivery Problem

Author: John-Paul Pagano
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Local Delivery Problem
Hi,

I have two exim servers in my networks. One is situated outside our firewall in an external "perimeter" network, and it relays Internet mail
through our firewall to an internal exim server. The problem I am having is that this two server model works fine for us in two of the three
contexts in which it must be functional. Intranet mail -- that is, mail sent and meant to be received in the firewalled intranet in which
the internal exim server resides -- works fine. Internet mail, as is made obvious by your receipt of this e-mail, works fine too. But I
can't send mail into our Intranet from any of the hosts that reside in our external "perimeter" network. This is really bad for us, because
a lot of the monitoring scripts I have written to care for this external network are dependant on being able to e-mail me behind the firewall
when something goes wrong.

I don't understand why Internet mail can come in fine, but mail on this external network, which is directly attached to the Internet, and
therefore functionally no different from it, can't route inside. The only clue I can muster is that we own two different domain names, and
the machine in particular that is presently failing answers to the secondary domain name, whereas the two exim server boxes know about that
domain name, but primarily answer to the first domain name.

Some additional details:

-- The internal exim server is version 2.10 #6
-- The external exim server is version 1.71 #1 (can't upgrade for various reasons)
-- I have made sure that the external machine that is attempting to send mail into are Intranet has proper DNS registration

Can you point me in the right direction for debugging this? Thank you.

--
John-Paul Pagano
Unix Systems Administrator