[EXIM] Having a program conditionally handle mail

Author: Jason L Tibbitts III
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Having a program conditionally handle mail

PR> If I understand correctly, <listname>(-.*)? should be passed to
PR> majordomo, where <listname> is the logest matching name of list.

Not really. All we care about is the address; we can take it apart
properly for ourselves. The problem is that if we get called for an
address that isn't ours, things just don't work because once we've been
called Exim thinks the deal is finished.

PR> suffix = -*
PR> suffix_optional

OK, so we get list, list-owner, but also list-urgbafl. Or we have
list-name, list-name-owner, but also list-hurl-blah.

So that's still sending us addresses we don't want.

It seems that all that's left is listing all of the suffixes supported and
marking them optional. Is it possible to say, -owner(-.*)? is optional
(i.e. a regexp) since VERPs only ever come back to the owner?

suffix = -request
suffix = -owner
suffix = -owner-*
suffix = -subscribe
suffix = -unsubscribe
suffix = (whatever)
suffix_optional

This works only as long as the suffixes are fixed and aren't under the
control of the list owner.

PR> You can specify user and group for most everything. The only thing I
PR> don't think you can specify is the user that aliasfile lookups are done
PR> as, so majordomo aliasfiles (not the list files, but aliasfiles such as
PR> my list of lists) have to be readable by the user exim runs as.

That is the whole problem I was trying to avoid. Here's the issue:
Majordomo needs write access to the directory where the alias file is
stored so it can open a tempfile there. But the MTA needs to be able to
write there to make the database hash files. So you end up either having
to put the MTA and Majordomo in a common group or make the dir world
writable. Or play weird games with symlinks (as we do with Sendmail).

Of course, I'm not sure if Exim works this way.

I think I've probably overstayed my welcome on this list so I'll go back to
the Exim docs a bit.

- J<