Re: [EXIM] DNS problem(ette)

Author: Exim Users Mailing List
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] DNS problem(ette)
[ On Wednesday, March 17, 1999 at 16:56:19 (+0000), Lee McLoughlin wrote: ]
> Subject: [EXIM] DNS problem(ette)
>
> I have a really annoying intermittent problem where attempts to mail to
> valid sites are rejected with:
>     : unknown mail domain

> This will only happen a few times a day and there is no particular
> pattern to the sites it rejects. If I try to lookup the same domain a
> few minutes later then it is OK.

You mention using bind-8.1.2, but are you sure you're linking exim
against the newer DNS resolver library that comes with BIND-8?

If not then that's likely your problem. The resolver in SunOS-4 is
ancient (approx BIND 4.8.3) and very very buggy. It's the only resolver
I've ever seen give intermittent false negative replies like you report.

I noted the last time I looked at bind-8 that they had not included any
of the tools and instructions from bind-4.9.7 to help SunOS-4
administrators replace the system resolver, including integration into
the shared libc.

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>