Re: [EXIM] Exim configuration

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Toralf Lund
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim configuration

toralf@??? said:
> It appears to work as expected, but I don't like specifying the domain
> name explicitly all over the file as I know by experience that this
> will cause inconsistencies sooner or later. I would definitely prefer
> to use $local_domains or similar on the left-hand-side, but haven't
> been able to figure out how to "match into" a colon separated list. An
> alternative would be to to have a common source for the re-write rules
> and local_domains, but I'm not quite sure how to set up this, either.

Put the valid domain names in a file (or dbm file) and use a
lsearch/dbm lookup to match them. This can also be used in the rewrite
rule. Cleaning up can be completed by using a macro at the top of the
file for local domains and just using that in the rest of the file.

> Sendmail optionally matches the "user" part of the address against the
> GECOS field as well as the user id. To provide a similar
> functionality, I have defined the following smartuser and custom
> transport:

Yuck. Supporting this sort of thing is a seriously bad idea. Make
people get addresses right, otherwise you can add a person with a
similar fullname and suddenly mail delivery gets rather indeterminate.

The only thing I would do is have a process that builds an alias file
from appropriate passwd entries.

Fuzzy matching might be appropriate for generating error messages - ie
"I don't know that user, here is a list of similar users" although that
has privacy implications - but it has no place in a serious mail system
for delivery.

> Neither of the search types for system_aliases seem to match the
> lookup employed by sendmail, which will always consult /etc/aliases or
> similar, but include data from NIS if a NIS include directive (+:+) is
> encountered.

Add an additional director to do NIS lookups. This looks like another
broken Sun thing - there is no need to emulate that.

> I also want to set up some hosts with a "null config", i.e. let them
> to forward everything to a "mail HUB", but I am not quite sure how to
> do this. I haven't studied the documentation closely in this respect,
> though.

Take the standard config you use, set
    local_domains =

Remove local transports and all the directors.
That should then just work. An alternative is to make a smarthost
router to deliver everything to the hub so outgoing mail goes via it as
well.

> The below lines are necessary to be able to do anything useful with
> Netscape Messenger. Why?

> receiver_unqualified_hosts = localhost

You are sending to unqualified addresses - exim only allows that from
the local (ie unix command line) injection normally.

> sender_host_reject_relay_except = 127.0.0.1

You are injecting via local loopback SMTP, so that needs to be allowed
to relay.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]