Re: [EXIM] SMTP Delivery Refused - wish for error generated …

Author: Philip Hazel
To: mark david mcCreary
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] SMTP Delivery Refused - wish for error generated back
On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, mark david mcCreary wrote:

> It seems that mail hosts have two different ways of informing the sender of
> a message that the user is unknown. By accepting the message, and then
> generating a bounce. Or by refusing the message.
>
> When the message is refused, Exim logs the error like such
>

> 1999-03-14 00:25:33 10Lyhl-0007s4-00 ** ccrad@??? R=lookuphost
> T=smtp: SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO: <ccrad@???>:
> host mailsorter-101.bryant.webtv.net [209.240.198.91]: 550
> ccrad@???... User unknown
>

> I would like Exim to also generate a bounce message back to the sender of
> the message, and I have not been able to find an option that will
> accomplish that.

It should do so automatically. It is its responsibility to do so. I see
such messages being generated on my system all the time. What happens in
your case? What happens if you send a message to, for example,
non-exist@??? ? That should get refused by my host in this
way.

> In my case, I have mailing lists, and when people subscribe to them, with
> an invalid email address, the Welcome message sent to them can be refused,
> and I would like Exim to complete the process, and report back the error to
> the mailing list, which generated the welcome message.

With what envelope sender address did the mailing list generate the
welcome message?