Re: [EXIM] problem on starting exim in inetd

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jose Carlos Carvalho
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] problem on starting exim in inetd
On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Jose Carlos Carvalho wrote:

> 1.    if i set on inetd exim running under user exim with params -bs all
> error messages are sent to exim and pop3 clients
> have no notification about errors. In this configuration sending or
> receiving mail over pop3 is very quick.

> 2. if i set inetd exim running under user exim with params -bs all pop
> clients receive the correct error notification, but
> sending mail is very slowly and receiving is quick.

(a) Sorry, what is the difference between how you set up 1 and 2? I
can't see any difference in what you have written.

(b) Have you remembered to make the exim binary setuid=root?

> 3. if i set exim runing under rc.local with params -bd -q1h the system
> responds as in point 2.

I'm not at all sure what you mean by "fast" on pop3, because Exim has
nothing to do with the POP protocol, which is a protocol for the user
agent to use when *reading* mail.

I feel there is something I am not understanding here...