Re: [EXIM] Multiple deliveries down one connection

Author: Tabor J. Wells
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Multiple deliveries down one connection
On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 05:05:15PM +0000,
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> is thought to have said:

> When a message is successfully delivered over a TCP/IP SMTP connection, Exim
> looks in the hints database for the transport to see if there are any queued
> messages waiting for the host to which it is connected. If it finds one, it
> creates a new Exim process using the -MC option (which can only be used by a
> process running as root or the Exim user) and passes the TCP/IP socket to it.
> The new process does only those deliveries that are routed to the connected
> host, and may in turn pass the socket on to a third process, and so on. The
> batch_max option of the smtp transport can be used to limit the number of
> messages sent down a single connection. The second and subsequent messages
> delivered down an SMTP connection are identified in the main log by the
> addition of an asterisk after the closing square bracket of the IP address.

I read that, but it doesn't answer my question. To reword it:

Why do messages not get delivered down the same connection when I do
something like:

exim -v -R @aol.com

but for other domains, I do this and I see the appropriate "waiting for
passed connections to get used"?

Tabor

Tabor J. Wells                                             twells@???
Systems Administration Manager  Just another victim of the ambient morality
Shore.Net  --  High quality Internet access and hosting services since 1993