Re: [EXIM] How to remove string in subject?

Author: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] How to remove string in subject?
Quoth Frederick Page on Sat, Feb 27, 1999:
> >You can, of course, deliver via procmail from Exim. Then you can change
> >things in the message, but you cannot do a true forward. You have to
> >submit a new message, which will have a different sender.
>
> I'd rather take a raincheck on modifying messages :-)

Seems reasonable. Filtering the messages with perl, saving them
to the file, and wrapping it all inside the exim_lock utility
seems to be a reasonable approach. As I already said, search for
the subject I gave you, this proposal (and maybe even some perl
code) exists there. If you have any questions (like, you don't
know perl), don't hesitate to ask.

> >Another thing you could
> >arrange is a transport filter on your appendfile transport. This *is* a
> >case where the message is on the standard input and gets copied to the
> >standard output, so you could use sed. Check out the transport_filter
> >option.
>
> Wow! Thanks for this great piece of information. I still have to learn
> a lot about Exim :-)

I wouldn't take that approach. It seems a little backwards to
me. I think that the problem you want to solve belongs to a
user, thus solving it in the daemon machine-wide is a Bad Thing.

Apart from that, I advise you not to use sed, unless you really
know what you're doing. One of the things is that you want to
edit only headers (which means, everything before the first enpty
string), and in there, only the "Subject:" header. You don't
want to remove every appearance of the word "[DEBIAN]" in your
message. I repeat, you don't want to remove every appearance of
the word "" in your message. Solving this problem with perl or
awk is easy.

Vadik.

--
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own
cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as