Re: [EXIM] How to remove string in subject?

Author: Ben Smithurst
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] How to remove string in subject?
Frederick Page wrote:

> I already read the fine manual, but still am unsure about how to
> remove the string "[Debian]: " (without quotes) from a subject header
> line.

What a coincidence, I've been looking at this recently. I got bored
though, and decided it wasn't worth buggering about with.

> The following filter-file finds the string within the subject,
> but how do I replace the match with nothing (eliminate matching
> string)?
>
> if
>    $header_Subject: matches "\\[Debian\\]: "

Oh, that works? I had to use four backslashes, perhaps I did something
wrong. As for the replacement, I don't think you can with Exim. You'll
probably have to use a Perl script or something. That's what I started,
then decided it wasn't worth it. (Though I don't see the point of these
subject prefixes, it just wastes seven characters of the subject column
in my mailer's mailbox index list.)

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@???