Re: [EXIM] Case of local parts

Author: Bruce Bowler
To: Philip Hazel, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Case of local parts
At 04:33 PM 2/24/99 +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
>The fact that the RFCs require local parts in addresses to be treated in
>a case-sensitive manner has been the cause of a number of problems.

I'm not a unix system programming whiz so I realize what I'm about to say
is full of things that "wont work", but that's never stopped me in the past
:-).

I inherited a system that was running an ancient version of sendmail. When
I discovered the anti-spam, ease-of-use of exim, I switched in a heart
beat. Exim has been very good to me except for the "case" issue.

In the version of sendmail we had (sorry don't recall specific version) all
of the following would get to me...

BBowler@???, bboWler@???, BBoWLeR@??? etc...

With exim, I had to play all sorts of 'games' with locally_caseless (sorry
if that's not the exact variable, but it's close) and duplicate entries in
my aliases file in order to get the same functionality to work. This is
largely because the person I inherited the system from decided by username
should be BBowler, not bbowler. Yes, I suppose I could go back and rename
everybody but that's just as much a pain in the neck.

Is there an (easy) way to make exim treat *ALL* instances of anything that
could potentially be a local part, the same way? Assuming exim uses
getwpent or something similar to check for local users, it would obviously
mean "rolling your own".

I'll get off my soapbox now...

Bruce

Bruce Bowler                             207.633.9600 (voice)
Research Associate                       207.633.9641 (fax)
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences    bbowler@???
West Boothbay Harbor ME  04575           http://www.bigelow.org/