[EXIM] Advice needed on spam filtering

Author: John Burnham
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Advice needed on spam filtering
This isn't really exactly a technical enquiry, it's more asking for
opinions. My boss has asked about the feasibility of blocking all mail
from a domain - in this case it's aol. Now, most of the stuff we
receive from aol accounts are spam, but there is the odd few that are
business related. One of my ideas was a filter that bounced back
mail from aol and sent an additional message telling the sender to
resend the mail with a key-phrase in the subject that would allow the
mail to get through. However, this might annoy the sender.... In
addition, there are a few people who subscribe to a number of mailing
lists - some well set up, some not so - so I am slightly worried about
mailing list stuff getting bounced around (yeah, I can stick additional
rules in for each mailing list but what happens when someone
subscribes to one without my knowledge ? I can see this leading to
serious administrative overheads....).
 So, any thoughts on the feasibility of this ? Any other paths I should
be pursuing ? (I already have a large file of anti-spam rules, I have
RBL in place....).
 TIA,
   John.
--