[EXIM] no reliable way to use batch-smtp input

Author: Ian Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] no reliable way to use batch-smtp input
I seem to remember some discussion about this before, but I can't find
it in the mail archives.

The problem is that if Exim wants to return an error in response to a
bsmtp message it sends a message to postmaster containing the error
response that would have been given. Missing are any other details,
including the erroneous message. Exim then exits with status zero.

This is not the way a reliable program should behave. It makes it
impossible to use Exim's BSMTP input without risking losing mail.

Can I suggest instead the following:

1. sender_verify_batch is turned off by default.

2. If Exim finds itself wanting to return an SMTP error code during
batch SMTP input it prints an error message to stderr which gives the
text of the SMTP error _and the line number_ (or some indication of
where in the input the error occurred), and exits immediately with a
nonzero status. The calling program can then know that the input was
not successful and take some appropriate action.

If Phil (or others) don't have time to implemnt this I may well do it
myself.

Ian.