[EXIM] Reverse DNS lookups and security

Author: David Sewell
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Reverse DNS lookups and security
I wonder if someone can offer general advice about using Exim
features that require reverse DNS lookup of sending hosts.
For a long time I've had a sender_host_reject_recipients line
in my exim.conf, pointing to a file containing some known
spamming addresses including wildcarded names. From the Exim docs, I
gather that having a reject option like this causes Exim to (1) do a
reverse DNS lookup on the sending host's IP address, and (2) reject the
mail if this lookup fails.

This feature has frequently blocked spam for me, but lately it
has rejected mail from legitimate correspondents whose networks
are presumably misconfigured. So I'm wondering:

* What is the general feeling of Exim users about rejecting mail
based on failed gethostbyaddr()? Is it too draconian?

* What's the best way to block connections from known spamming hosts
while taking care not to block legitimate senders?

DS
--
David Sewell * dsew@???    | "Hidden harmony is
Dep't of Geosciences, Univ. of Arizona         |  better than manifest."