Re: [EXIM] Unroutable domain is the host machine

Author: Marc Haber
To: Rufus evison
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Unroutable domain is the host machine
On Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:00:35 -0000, you wrote:
>I am baffled. I have set up exim on a new machine, and it is rejecting all
>messages as having an unroutable domain.
>
>I have a server called myclient.mycompany.co.uk with exim set up on it.
>Primary host is set to myclient.mycompany.co.uk and appears in my list of
>local domains. I don't have a director for it, as it should be going through
>the system aliases director. At least that seems to be the way it works on
>my other exim installations. Has this changed (I now have a newer version).
> mY system aliases director looks like this:-
>
>system_aliases:
> driver = aliasfile
> file = /etc/aliases
> search_type = lsearch*@

Looks like you haven't told your exim what to do with a local part
that does not show any more in your alias file.

Assume a one-line alias file containing one line:

postmaster:    root

and send mail to postmaster@???. Your alias file
finds that postmaster resolves to root and tries to deliver to
root@???.

Now exim has a problem: what to do with this message to
root@???? There is no alias for root in the alias
file and no other director. So, it fails.

Depending on your local situation, you have to specify a director that
actually delivers. For example, if all users have an account on that
very machine, use the following director:

|localuser:
| driver = localuser
| transport = local_delivery

You will need a transport for that, too:

|local_delivery:
| driver = appendfile
| file = /var/spool/mail/${local_part}
| create_directory = false