[EXIM] Knowing about mail transport [Was: Froms & tos]

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Ben Smithurst
CC: exim-users
古いトピック: Re: [EXIM] Froms & tos
題目: [EXIM] Knowing about mail transport [Was: Froms & tos]
On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Ben Smithurst wrote:

> Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>
> > As mentioned before, since there are more and more people running MTAs
> > who know little about mail transport we need a document on the basics of
> > mail transport.
>
> Uh, what are the RFCs for? Anyone running a real MTA (obviously this
> excludes crap like MSexChange) should be fairly familiar with mail
> transport, which is explained in RFC 821 and/or 822, I always forget.

Actually, anyone having a host on a public network listening on port
25 should be familiar with RFC821 (and others). Running crap software
certainly shouldn't exempt people from that responsibility.

But the fact of the matter is that there are a growing number of people
who have come to feel that if they have software (which is supposed to do
the job) that they don't need to know what goes on behind it.

Whether a book on mail transport basics would help, I don't know. After
all, the problem is that they don't think that they need to learn anything
to run a mail system.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814