Re: Feeping Creaturism (was Re: [EXIM] syslog?)

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: julian, exim-users
Assunto: Re: Feeping Creaturism (was Re: [EXIM] syslog?)
Sometime last month, julian@??? wrote:

> I agree - as Makefile's go exim has a excellent makefile. Perhaps it
> would be clearer if I showed you what I currently use on my 'setup
> a machine without having to do anything' script...
>
> sed -e 's,COMPRESS_COMMAND=/opt/gnu/bin/gzip,COMPRESS_COMMAND=/usr/bin/gzip,' \
> -e 's,EXICYCLOG_MAX=10,EXICYCLOG_MAX=30,' \
> -e 's,# EXIM_UID=,EXIM_UID=25,' \
> -e 's,# EXIM_GID=$,EXIM_GID=25,' \
> -e 's,EXIM_MONITOR=eximon.bin,# EXIM_MONITOR=eximon.bin,' \
> -e 's,# LOG_FILE_PATH=/var/log/exim_%slog,LOG_FILE_PATH=/var/log/exim/%slog,' \
> -e 's,# SPOOL_DIRECTORY=/var/spool/exim,SPOOL_DIRECTORY=/var/spool/exim,' \
> src/EDITME > Local/Makefile

Sorry to restart this, but...

I kept meaning to respond to that, and to the other posting about the
possibility of keeping a script that contains "configure --this= --that= ..."
and have now remembered to do to.

I too have such a setup script, for testing that Exim will compile on
various operating systems. Except that it isn't a script, it is an Exim
Local/Makefile. I don't really see any great conceptual difference
between keeping your script and keeping an equivalent Local/Makefile.

> Now that is icky icky icky, and all it takes is for Philip to change
> the format of the Makefile ever so subtly and it will break.

I am unlikely to, but I am even more unlikely to make major changes to
what is in the Local/Makefile, so saving a copy of that is even less
likely to break. For a long time now, whenever I install a new version
of Exim on this system, I just have just copied the Local directory from
the previous version. There would have to be something major for me to
contemplate breaking that kind of backward compatibility. The last time
this happened was when the lookups got split into their own code, and
there is a note in README-UPDATE-FROM-1.82 all about it.

I suppose you can argue that by doing it your way, you will pick any new
things in the EDITME for new releases. That is true, but I think the
chances are now very high that any new things will be commented out or
will be the default anyway.

I suppose the safest approach would be

(1) Copy previous Local/Makefile

(2) Diff previous EDITME with current EDITME

(3) Edit Local/Makefile if (2) shows up anything that needs changing;
    this should, I assert, be rare.