Re: Feeping Creaturism (was Re: [EXIM] syslog?)

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Anand Buddhdev
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Feeping Creaturism (was Re: [EXIM] syslog?)
On Sun, Dec 27, 1998 at 01:12:10AM +0000, Julian wrote:

Has anyone on this list seen qmail or any other DJB program compile? A
typical installation goes:

ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/pub/software/some-software.tar.gz
tar zxf some-software.tar.gz
cd some-software
make setup check

And it's done. The 'make setup check' part starts by figuring out many
things about your system (somewhat like autoconf), but it goes a few steps
further and even tries to compile some small C programs to test whether
certain functionalities exist in a certain OS. And yes, the configuration
does make use of uname (with some heuristics) to determine the OS and
architecture. And the end of the compile, the script gathers all that
information and writes it to a file in a specific format which you mail to
DJB, and his database grows for supporting more and more systems. If you
need to change the installation directories, or any other parameters, you
can do that by editing a set of conf-* files before running the make. In
fact, one never edits the Makefile!

While I like exim's Makefile (much better than trying to compile squid or
apache or such like), one couldn't get any better than DJB's style of
configuration. Perhaps programmers can take ideas from his code.

--
Anand

There has been an alarming increase in the number of things you know
nothing about.