Re: Feeping Creaturism (was Re: [EXIM] syslog?)

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Vadim Vygonets
Para: exim-users
Assunto: Re: Feeping Creaturism (was Re: [EXIM] syslog?)
Quoth Nigel Metheringham on Thu, Dec 24, 1998:
> Gnu configure is good for determining portability features, but not for
> configurability features - the command lines get unwieldy.

I'll second that. And Exim has its portability features
hardcoded into OS/{os.[ch],Makefile}-OperatingSystemName, which
is pretty good. It's ported to several platforms, it doesn't
need to run 50 test each time you re-build Makefile, it doesn't
try to run on ToasterUNIX before you port it to it, and porting
is pretty much trivial. I like the way Exim builds itself.

> Anyhow, if there is syslog support then I would much rather have it always
> enabled and configured in by the startup file.

You mean, the config file? I'd like that.

> There may also be issues
> of length of log lines - exim writes some seriously long lines if you have
> logging of subjects and recipients, and some (old) syslog libraries would
> take that as an invitation to overwrite your stack.... so exim would also
> need to change its log format to avoid opening new security holes. Ugh!

Umm.

Vadik.

--
Real software engineers don't debug programs, they verify correctness.
This process doesn't necessarily involve execution of anything on a