Re: [EXIM] syslog?

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Vadim Vygonets
Para: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [EXIM] syslog?
Quoth Philip Hazel on Wed, Dec 23, 1998:
> Somebody is now going to tell me that syslog allows you to separate
> things off into separate files.

Syslogd(8) allows you to separate things off into separate files.
Erm. Ahem. Always at your service.

> (Is it standard on all versions of Unix?)

I think so. Even such beasts as IRIX and AIX can do that. Not
to mention Solaris [ducks, runs and hides under an old SunOS
4.1.4 machine].

Mentioning SunOS, today we realized that the TCP/IP throughput is
better on SunOS than on BSDI. One of the networking guys here
told me that the most probable reason is that the SPARC hardware
is just plain good, while PCs weren't designed to be a computer
in first place. Just for the statistics, the throughput on large
windows (>2K) is about 6.7 Mbps on BSDI 3, and about 8 Mbps on
SunOS 4, on 10Mbps network.

> Well, I just wasn't familiar with syslog when I started (and
> still am not) and what I did was to copy the way smail did things,
> except that I invented a separate rejectlog.

It would be nice to have syslog support. Then, we could send all
mail logs (except the ones from our mailserver) to the loghost,
to be beeped at and examined by sysadmins. The "beeped at"
thingie is about swatch (system watch, not a clock), a nice perl
script that mails you and beeps at you whenever something
interesting (for irritating values of interesting) shows up in
the logs.

And, Philip, as you can notice, I finished my exrcise (too many
bloody comments, more than the code itself maybe) and am going to
sleep soon. Yay!

Also, it seems to me that this list is mostly European, as most
of the things show up when it's afternoon or evening GMT (hmm,
weird definition).

Vadik.

--
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own
cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as