Re: [EXIM] How to only use a smart host for "good" addresses…

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: Harald Meland
CC: exim-users
Tópicos Novos: [EXIM] autoreply question
Assunto: Re: [EXIM] How to only use a smart host for "good" addresses?
On 21 Dec 1998, Harald Meland wrote:

> consider this scenario:
>
>  1. Some Eudora user misconfigures the Return address to read
>     <invalid.address@???>.

Ah! We are talking about return addresses. I was thinking of invalid
recipients.

>  5. The error message which the mail hub won't accept is frozen on the
>     mail relay.

Yes, we see this too, but quite often also from external sources. I set
ignore_errmsg_errors_after=12h and also set auto_thaw. This means that
such messages hang around for a bit, and sometimes I investigate them,
but they don't hang around for days and days.

> Setting 'ignore_errmsg_errors' (or 'ignore_errmsg_errors_after') to
> true does help a bit, but I would prefer the original error message to
> be available in full -- a single line in the log stating the incorrect
> address is not all that helpful when trying to track down which Eudora
> user has misconfigured their return address.

You need a way of checking <invalid.address@???>. There is an odd
little feature of Exim that I implemented to help our systems. It is the
'X' rewriting flag - see section 33.7 in the 2.10 manual, which explains
exactly how we use it. It may or may not be of use to you.

> With sendmail, the failed error message is made into a error message,
> with both envelope sender and recipient set to MAILER-DAEMON. The
> original, bogus-envelope-sender message is then available to whoever
> receives MAILER-DAEMON's mail.

I have put this on the wish list. It would, of course, be optional, as I
know that many sites that handle very large amounts of mail just want to
throw away such failing messages.