Re: [EXIM] Intro docs [Was: Single host has multiple domain …

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Jeffrey Goldberg
Cc: David Waine, Ben Smithurst, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Intro docs [Was: Single host has multiple domain names]
On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

> I think that the exim docs do give a good overview how exim works from the
> begining, and that the most commonly used configuration options are also
> documented in the default/sample configure file.

Thank you. (Also some stuff in the FAQ, which I am currently updating.)

> But I also think that you have a legitimate point that might need to be
> reframed. In the old days, anyone configuring an MTA was familiar with
> mail transport in general. Now-a-days there are more and more people who
> are setting up MTAs who only have the vaguest notions of what SMTP looks
> like, what DNS is (and more specifically MX records) and the like.

Agreed.

> The exim docs are outstanding if you already know something about mail
> transport. But as we move to a world in which everybody is a postmaster,
> there needs to be an introduction to mail transport in general. Whether
> such a thing would be a good use of PHs time when preparing documentation
> is an open question. But it certainly would be nice if someone wrote
> a good mail transport management document, using exim as the MTA.

I am, when time permits, working on an introductory "book" about Exim.
It is intended to include some appendices about MX, DNS etc. However, it
moves slowly and has not been changed for several months. Maybe I'll do
a bit more now that 2.10 is released. The latest available draft can be
seen in

http://www.cus.cam.ac.uk/~ph10/draft2.ps
http://www.cus.cam.ac.uk/~ph10/draft2.txt

though the text form lacks any diagrams.

> Anyone want to put in a book proposal to O'Reilly?

I tried. They were not interested. Maybe I didn't try hard enough. :-)