Re: [EXIM] dots/periods at start/ends of username?

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Igor Clark
To: Exim List
題目: Re: [EXIM] dots/periods at start/ends of username?
Hi there

>I'd also make the point that whilst allowing a leading dot still allows exim
>to be a 'drop-in' replacement for sendmail, do we want to follow it to the
>extent of non-standard practices? Should it diverge from sendmail in that it
>is 'correct'?
>
>John.

What are we taking as "standard" in this case?

Presumably the reason for wanting to make exim function as a "drop-in"
replacement for sendmail is that there are enough sendmail installations
around the world for this to be valuable - which, I might *tentatively*
suggest, pushes sendmail a little of the way towards being a de facto
standard.

Are we to be 100% strict in sticking to the RFC on the basis that there's
no point in having de jura standards if no-one's going to stick to them? Or
are we to allow ourselves to bend the rules just a tiny bit on the basis
that so many people already have, we might as well? Or what other
motivations might we have for respecting the RFC to every single letter (or
not)?

I'm not really espousing one view or another, just interested really to see
what people think ...

Rgds

Igor

------------- Igor Clark --- Director, RVC Limited -------------