Re: [EXIM] underscore in domain name or email address

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Mark R V Murray
Para: Schreckenbach, Jan
CC: 'Exim Mailingliste'
Assunto: Re: [EXIM] underscore in domain name or email address
> Hi,
>
>     sorry, I know that this topic was discussed in-depth. I read most of
> the
> messages about. What I don't understand is why underscores may be
> valid in dns
> (I can turn off the check in /etc/named.boot) but never in email
> addresses.

Wrong perception. According to the RFCs, underscores are wrong in
hostnames; however sysadmins take advantage of older namservers and put
them in anyway, and broken nameservers don't always complain.

> I've often seen underscores in hostnames and so there are a lot of
> email addresses
> based on hostnames with underscores in it. I really think there should
> be an option
> to use exim with these addresses ( e.g. in an environment with NT).

As long as that is internal, no problem. Don't expect the rest of the
world to follow suit.

Mark Murray
UUNET Internet Africa - Senior Network Engineer
Please visit http://www.abuse.net - Help stamp out net.abuse