Re: [EXIM] max users?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Doug S
A: rste
Cc: Exim Users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] max users?

>Is there a limit on the number of users that exim can cope with? That is
>would there be a limit on the number of different mail boxes that it could
>write to? I cannot see why there would, but maybe I am missing something?

I don't know that there would be a limit in Exim.

However, the organization of your mail spool may impose limits. For
example, if you use a single directory with mucho mailboxes in it,
there will come a point where the linear directory search to find a
particular mailbox will be a problem. This would affect both delivering
mail and reading mail (and the same thing is true about home direc-
tories).

I've had satisfactory performance with 7500 users (varying degrees
of activity) on an RS6000 590H with lots of memory and a linear
mailbox directory, but if/when it gets much above that I'll have to go
to something different, like /var/mail/first-letter-of-userid/user-mbox
or deliver to home directories (which are already staggered). This
machine has a significant number of shell users, so wherever the
mailbox directory is, the MAIL env-var has to be set too.

I don't know about qpopper, but the original UCB Popper code didn't
seem easy to fix to handle unusual mailbox layouts (ie not in a single
linear directory).

I've been running the UW IMAP4 package, they give you functions you can
modify to set home directory, inbox location, etc that build into both
POP3 and IMAP servers (I consider IMAP superior to POP3 - we have a
number of student labs so downloading mail to machines doesn't make
much sense, but otherwise that's a "religious" argument that doesn't
really belong on this list).

Doug
--
Doug S. (doug@???) (http://cc.ysu.edu/~doug/)

The shadow of a dog never bit anyone -- Kenneth Copeland