RE: [EXIM] Bounce messages missing Sender

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Padraic Renaghan
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: RE: [EXIM] Bounce messages missing Sender
On 11 November 1998 at 15:51, Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Padraic Renaghan wrote:
> > At this point exim attempts to deliver the bounce message to
> > padraic@??? so it establishes an SMTP connection with renaghan.com.
> > The problem is that the bounce message does not have a sender - exim reports
> > the FROM in the SMTP session to renaghan.com as "<>". Renaghan.com says
> > something like "bogus from" and does not accept the bounce message. The
> > bounce message stays in the queue since it cannot be delivered.
>
> This is a problem with renaghan.com.
>
> > Why is the Sender on the bounce message Null?
>
> Because the RFCs say it must be. Send them this extract from RFC 1123:
>
>       5.2.9  Command Syntax: RFC-821 Section 4.1.2

>          The syntax shown in RFC-821 for the MAIL FROM: command omits
>          the case of an empty path:  "MAIL FROM: <>" (see RFC-821 Page
>          15).  An empty reverse path MUST be supported.

> [...]
>
>       5.3.3  Reliable Mail Receipt
>  [...]
>          If there is a delivery failure after acceptance of a message,
>          the receiver-SMTP MUST formulate and mail a notification
>          message.  This notification MUST be sent using a null ("<>")
>          reverse path in the envelope; see Section 3.6 of RFC-821.  The
>          recipient of this notification SHOULD be the address from the
>          envelope return path (or the Return-Path: line).  However, if
>          this address is null ("<>"),  the receiver-SMTP MUST NOT send a
>          notification.  If the address is an explicit source route, it
>          SHOULD be stripped down to its final hop.

Thanks for the RFC reference. I assume that part of the problem here is my attempt to "masquerade" as renaghan.com when I am really sending from cork.local.

Am I right in guessing that the attempt to validate the FROM by renaghan.com is in order to block as much spam as possible?

Is this similar to the sender_verify option in exim?

Given my attempts to "masquerade" as renaghan.com, is there at better way to do it so that bounce messages don't get sent to padraic@???, but instead go back to prenagha@????
Maybe a header like "Error-To" or "Bounce-To" - does exim recognize any of these?

Thanks.
Padraic Renaghan
<padraic@???>