著者: Padraic Renaghan
To: exim-users
題目: [EXIM] Bounce messages missing Sender
I have done my best to try and resolve this issue on my own using the available
documentation... I have not had any luck yet. I was hoping someone on the list
could point me in the right direction.

Setup:
- RH 5.1 with updates
- exim-2.02-1 installed via RPM
- local machine name cork.local
- attempting to "masquerade" as renaghan.com
- rewrite rules rewrite From and Sender in envelope to padraic@???
when
either is prenagha@???. I use this b/c I have dial-up PPP and want all
mail from the machine to look like it came from my Internet domain
renaghan.com

Problem:
This setup seems to work well except when handling outgoing mail bounces. For
example, I send a complaint message from cork.local to a spammer. The
spammers
mailbox had been disabled by their host (Yeah!) so the SMTP between
cork.local
and the spammer's host errored out with "user does not exist". When this
happens it looks like exim prepares the bounce message to send back to the
originator of the message - in this case padraic@??? (since it had
been rewritten from prenagha@???). Everything is OK up to this point.
At this point exim attempts to deliver the bounce message to
padraic@??? so it establishes an SMTP connection with renaghan.com.
The problem is that the bounce message does not have a sender - exim reports
the FROM in the SMTP session to renaghan.com as "<>". Renaghan.com says
something like "bogus from" and does not accept the bounce message. The
bounce
message stays in the queue since it cannot be delivered.

I turned debug level on and watched exim and renaghan.com communicate - exim
indeed did attempt to send a null FROM to renaghan.com. I also checked the
exim message file in /var/spool/exim/input for the bounce message and did not
find any Sender header in the file.

Why is the Sender on the bounce message Null?
How can I correct this for the current frozen messages and for future bounce
messages?

Thanks.
Padraic Renaghan
<padraic@???>