Re: [EXIM] permissions for non-root exim

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: V. T. Mueller
A: Sheldon Hearn
Cc: eml
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] permissions for non-root exim
On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 01:26:32 +0100, "V. T. Mueller" wrote:
> > Hm, ok. I first thought of doing it with exim:mail but then came
> > across even more problems with directory access. The default
> > is root:root which I'd like to avoid. So bin:mail isn't really
> > better/more secure?
> For the best answer, ask your operating system vendor this question.
> Seriously. For FreeBSD, we're happy with exim running as bin:mail, which
> coincides neatly with the ownership and permissions on /var/mail and
> /var/log:
> | [sheldonh@axl] ~ $ ls -ld /var/log /var/mail
> | drwxr-xr-x 2 bin bin 1024 Nov 11 02:06 /var/log
> | drwxrwxr-x 2 bin mail 512 Oct 29 20:31 /var/mail
> I mention asking your vendor because most of the answers you'll receive
> from the membership of this list are likely to be influenced by the
> "religion of administration" for their platform of choice.

Oh my... HP guys must all be heathens then. HP-UX comes with /tmp /var/tmp
/usr/local /usr/local/[bin|etc|games|lib|man] all set to 0777...

Additionally, they don't have /bin and /lib anymore. Depending on how you
install the OS you may have to set the links manually in order to be able
to run half of the software :) But that's going to be a bit off-topic
(relates to exim install options for HP-UX, though).

Anyway, exim is running fine again now. Only pine now complains 'mailbox
vulnerable - directory must be 1777' and it's 0750... I'm going nuts here
:)

cheerio,
Volker
  Volker T. Mueller      Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet  Freiburg im Breisgau
  Student der Informatik    vtmue@???  +49 761 355-03 -80(fax)

                        "Christ ist man fuer andere"