[EXIM] some more details about spam

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: tcurdt
A: exim-users
Temas nuevos: Web sites about spam Re: [EXIM] some more details about spam
Asunto: [EXIM] some more details about spam
I hope you guys don't think I'm stupid to ask such a question...
But what is spam *exactly* ?

Ok, first this is how I see the mail transportation:
  ___________________________               __________________________

 | HOST A                    |               | HOST B                    |
 |                 router |out---------+     |                 router |out
 |                           |         |     |                           |
 in| sender restrictions (2) |         +---->in| sender restrictions (2) |

 |___________________________|               |___________________________|
   /|\

    | relay
    | restrictions
    | (1)

  this is where
  the message is born
  (e.g. build by netscape)

(1) e.g. sender_host_accept_relay
(2) e.g. sender_net_accept

Ok, here it goes...

If the relay restriction are too lose, people could use HOST A to relay
mail. But what's the big deal about that?
Of course it's not very pleasant that other people use the mailer of HOST
A to send their mail - but the traffic for this people stays the same.
No matter if they relay it to their mailer or any other - doesn't it?

So why would they do that?
All I could think of would be to have a message with a large header with
many cc. So there is one message coming in and maybe 100 going out. So
you just have to relay one message and cause a traffic of 100!

Is that all spam-mail "works" like?
Is spam-mail always being relayed, or is it also coming over the "in"
port?
Where/when does it happen that a single message with 100 cc is spread into
100 messages?

thanx
Torsten