RE: [EXIM] what does "exim" mean?

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Paul Walsh
Para: Philip Hazel, David Sheryn
CC: exim-users
Assunto: RE: [EXIM] what does "exim" mean?
> Well, I would make a point of saying that it has long since moved beyond
> the experimental stage, but the name has stuck. It *is* becoming quite a
> FAQ, after all. :-) Or maybe I should just invent some crazy acronym
> as was done for Perl... Or maybe we should have a competition for the
> most outrageous origination story?
>
> Historical note for new Exim users: the tree shaking referred to above
> caused Exim version numbers to jump from 0.57 to 1.58 so that people who
> refuse to install anything below version 1.00 were kept happy.

How about "Efficient eXchange of Internet Mail"?

As for the comment in an earlier mail about a certain company denegrating
exim because it's free, I agree. Just because something costs money doesn't
mean it's going to be the best solution (certain M$oft products spring to
mind). I'm currently working on switching from XT-PP to exim and whilst
XT-PP hasn't cost us anything and hasn't caused us any problems I decided it
was time for a change. My reasons for choosing exim are that a) it's free,
b) from what I can gather it's widely used (btw, does anyone know how many
sites use exim?) and c) it has an active email list with regular
contributions from the author who not only explains how, but why.

Paul Walsh

Senior Systems Programmer, Information Services,
University of Central England, BIRMINGHAM B42 2SU
Tel: +44 (0)121-331-5708    Fax: +44 (0)121-356-2875