Re: [EXIM] what does "exim" mean?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: David Sheryn
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] what does "exim" mean?
On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, David Sheryn wrote:

> > I'd better put this in the FAQ.
>
> Please don't ! Some PHB-type will read that it's still "EXperimental" and
> refuse to let us install it... ! (ISTR shaking that particular tree once in
> thae past already... :-)

Well, I would make a point of saying that it has long since moved beyond
the experimental stage, but the name has stuck. It *is* becoming quite a
FAQ, after all. :-) Or maybe I should just invent some crazy acronym
as was done for Perl... Or maybe we should have a competition for the
most outrageous origination story?

Historical note for new Exim users: the tree shaking referred to above
caused Exim version numbers to jump from 0.57 to 1.58 so that people who
refuse to install anything below version 1.00 were kept happy.