Re: [EXIM] exim filters and duplicate messages

Author: Jim Tittsler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] exim filters and duplicate messages
On Tue, Nov 03, 1998 at 02:07:22PM -0500, Lee Bradshaw wrote:
> When I was using smail and procmail, I had some lines in my
> ~/.procmailrc to remove duplicates:
>
> # remove duplicate messages, ie. to me and mailing list
> :0 Wh: msgid.lock
> | formail -D 32768 $MAILDIR/cache.msgid
>
> Is there a recommended way to remove messages with the same Message-ID
> as a previous message in exim filters? I'm on a mailing list that is
> sending the same message multiple times, and I'd like to automatically
> drop them.

I asked the same question at the end of July. Philip Hazel confirmed that
the solution was pretty much DIY. Build a database and periodically empty it.

It also spawned some comments about it not being a "good thing to do"
because some senders send messages with the same message ID. You can find
it in the http://www.egroups.com/ list archives, starting July 29.