Re: [EXIM] The W-Word OS?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dom Mitchell
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: Lee McLoughlin, John Horne, Exim Users List
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] The W-Word OS?
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> writes:
> I was at a local Sun User Group meeting last night, where we were told
> of a new Sun software product that will be "very cheap", which allows
> you to run NT 4 services on Solaris boxes. The phrase "professional
> Samba" was used. I know nothing about NT, but I gathered that this
> allows you to do all sorts of cool things on "an OS that works and
> scales" in support of your NT boxes. The largest cheer of the evening
> occurred when it was stated that you could even manage NT user
> registries from there, using any old text editor on a flat file. The
> second largest cheer was for the statement that there are command line
> equivalents for everything. What they are saying is that you can get
> away from the "one function, one box" approach that is used with NT, and
> stuff many functions onto one or two bigger boxes, with all the
> concomitant savings. It is clear that Sun are hoping to sell lots of
> servers on the back of this.

There is a press release on this at sun's web site somewhere. Look
for project cascade, I think. It's basically a version of AT&T's
samba equivalent product (being commercially produced, it's probably a
bit up in thye feature stakes on samba though).

When I mentioned it to the other admins at work they concluded "nice
try, but it'll never take off unless it becomes part of the base OS
right now"...

Anyhow, sorry for being off topic...

-Dom