著者: Paul D. Robertson
To: Philip Hazel
CC: m.hampson, exim-users
題目: Re: [EXIM] Somrthing funny with hotmail
On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Oct 1998 m.hampson@??? wrote:
>
> > - a machine I look after has a huge backlog to hotmail.com
>
> I see regular delays, but never anything "huge". But then there are no
> undergraduates on this system.

There have been quite a few complaints about Hotmail this week, my guess
is they changed something on their end. Someone complained yesterday
about connections there timing out, and single message per connection
issues. Perhaps they've implemented Exchange on some of their servers?

> > I noticed exim is closing down the connection after each mail message.
> > Then if a single connect fails (which is seems to happen fairly
> > often) we enter a retry cycle.
>
> Hotmail appears to have just a single host with a single IP address.
> (They may be doing fancy things on the end of that address, but that's
> how it looks externally.) If a connect fails, Exim will apply its retry

Their DNS is served by Exodus, so my conjecture is that they're doing
something along the lines of Distributed Director or Big IP on the back-end.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts@???      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280