Re: [EXIM] The W-Word OS?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Lee McLoughlin
CC: John Horne, Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [EXIM] The W-Word OS?
On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Lee McLoughlin wrote:

> Lets just start a rumour that NT 5 has really been delayed because M$ is
> switching it over to be Unix based so that it will finally be reliable
> and robust!!! Once your management types fall for it then getting Unix
> should be simple :)

There's many a truth spoken in jest...

I was at a local Sun User Group meeting last night, where we were told
of a new Sun software product that will be "very cheap", which allows
you to run NT 4 services on Solaris boxes. The phrase "professional
Samba" was used. I know nothing about NT, but I gathered that this
allows you to do all sorts of cool things on "an OS that works and
scales" in support of your NT boxes. The largest cheer of the evening
occurred when it was stated that you could even manage NT user
registries from there, using any old text editor on a flat file. The
second largest cheer was for the statement that there are command line
equivalents for everything. What they are saying is that you can get
away from the "one function, one box" approach that is used with NT, and
stuff many functions onto one or two bigger boxes, with all the
concomitant savings. It is clear that Sun are hoping to sell lots of
servers on the back of this.