[EXIM] The W-Word OS?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Oliver Seidel
A: exim-users
Temas nuevos: [EXIM] Mail systems stats etc
Asunto: [EXIM] The W-Word OS?

    >> 3.  Get an old 486, install a kind of UNIX on it, put it under
    >> your table so nobody will know, and install Exim on it.  You
    >> will need to get some SIMMs for 486, though.

    Nils> Not in a company that has an NT-Only policy and tells us "NO
    Nils> UNIX".

I am a research student in computing, my dad has been in computing for
30 years. I do the unix thing, my dad is into security and they are
doing the nt thing. It's "only" a pharmaceuticals firm, not military
industry, but still, they're pretty tight on security. I hear that
measures for disobedience w.r.t. company policy are of Drakonian
scale. They regularly go 'round checking what's on the machines and
whether any modems or other such things are hooked up in unexpected
places.

How many people here would really risk to lose their job with a big
company for unix-politics? Anyay, some good ammunition can be found
at "www.unix-vs-nt.org".

Now to the exim-list related part of the message: is there a
comparison table displaying the features of various MTAs? I mean,
given that managers are impressed by such stuff, it may be worthwile
doing one. Also, if you can say "the top 40% email volume are shipped
by sendmail, then 20% by exim and about 0.1% by Exchange", then people
will start to listen. If you can say that to support 500 users on
exim costs you $50 for h/w+s/w and 1 hour/week of sysadmin time,
whereas exchange costs you $10000 for h/w $10000 for software and 60
hours/week in sysadmin time, they may just be convinced.

so long,

Oliver