[EXIM] Limiting the number of simultaneous pipes

Author: Lee McLoughlin
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Limiting the number of simultaneous pipes
I have a pipe based transport that a lot of mail is pushed thru. This
is usually OK. But every once in a while a sudden flood of mail will
arrive for the transport or the command that pipe calls will block
(waiting for a lock to be cleared). This causes a lot of pipe commands
to be running at the same time.

I need some way of limiting the number of simultaneous pipe commands
that can be forked off. I already limit the number of SMTP listeners
and queue handlers and this helps a bit. I'v checked through the
documentation and can't find anything to limit pipe transports in this
way.

Thanks
    Lee
--
Lee McLoughlin.                         Phone: +44 171 594 8388
IC-Parc, Imperial College,              Fax:   +44 171 594 8432