Re: [EXIM] local domains problem

Author: Philip Hazel
To: petro
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] local domains problem
On Mon, 26 Oct 1998 petro@??? wrote:

> excerpt from configure:
> primary_hostname = stifling.boredom.org
> local_domains = "boredom.org:already.nu:mtlinc.net:petro-family.net"

>      ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>   554 MX list for mtlinc.net points back to stifling.boredom.org.
>   550 petro@???... Host unknown (Name server: mtlinc.net: no data known)
> DNS info:
>   mtlinc.net      preference = 10, mail exchanger = stifling.boredom.org

None of these are Exim messages, so it's some other mailer that is
detecting the problem. It looks as though the problem may be in the data
in the DNS rather than in any of the mailers. Hmm. There's something
odd:

taurus$ host mtlinc.net ns1.mtlinc.net
ns1.mtlinc.net has no A record (Authoritative answer)
Error in looking up server name

There are apparently no A records in the DNS for the nameservers
registered for mtlinc.net (ns1.mtlinc.net and ns0.mtlinc.net) on those
servers themselves. I'm not sure that this is at all relevant to your
problem, though!