Re: [EXIM] exim mx things and RFCs

Author: David Shaw
Subject: Re: [EXIM] exim mx things and RFCs
On Wed, Oct 21, 1998 at 03:59:52PM +0100, Paul Mansfield wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, David Shaw wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 21, 1998 at 03:29:57PM +0100, Paul Mansfield wrote:
> > > here's an interesting problem. we have a customer who has a sub-domain called,
> > >     dc_mailhost.customer.com.  1D IN MX  10 ms1.customer.com.

> > Why?
> >
> > Snips from RFC-1035:
>
> ah, but its the left hand side in question, not the exchanger itself, if the
> RHS had an underscore, there'd be no doubt...

Ah. I see what you mean. Still, RFC-1035 says that the LHS is "an owner
name, i.e., the name of the node to which this resource record pertains.",
and since names are made up of labels, and labels can't have
underscores...

Someone could nitpick a bit, as it never explicitly defines an "owner
name" as a "domain name", but still, it's pretty clear. (Famous last
words!)

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw@???  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/