[EXIM] Virus Filter

Author: V. T. Mueller
To: eml
Subject: [EXIM] Virus Filter

Hello all,

After having read those numerous postings regarding filtering viruses
(virii) from mails being handled by exim, I'd now like to add my own $0.02

First of all, I agree with patl@??? in _many_ points,
although I think some of his statements doesn't lead any further
(especially not Mark who posted the initial question). ("The best way to
protect Windows workstations from virii is to replace Windows with unix."
are words that could just be taken out of my mouth, but it is not a
*solution* since unix, even Linux, is no alternative for all that word,
sigmaplot, excel,... users out there).

>From what I read Mark is interested in a solution "how to plug in which

virus scanner into exim". From my point of view this is a totally
reasonable question that is worth to be answered. As far as I know a
large percentage of exim users are ISPs who, among other services, provide
mail relaying for customers behind dial-in or leased links. I imagine they
would appreciate this feature as a 'goodie' to satisfy their customers
(more than they already do :).

So, is there anyone here who could help building something like a summary
regarding virus filtering? Mark told us of scanner programs for Linux, how
about others like Solaris, HP-UX, BSD, etc? How about the necessary exim
configuration? How about effects to the mail header? ...

I think there are enough questions to be answered in order to help solving
problems so we don't need to let discussions getting out of hand here.

Sorry for my bad mood today but maybe I'm not the only one who has >200
mails a day and who felt that this mail thread was going to take the wrong
way.
If traffic continues rising, we should consider moving discussion to a
newsgroup and turning the list into a question/summary only list (?)

regards,
  Volker T. Mueller      Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet  Freiburg im Breisgau
  Student der Informatik    vtmue@???  +49 761 355-03 -80(fax)

"In der Wueste wird Euch die Reinheit des Denkens naehren" A. Schoenberg