Re: [EXIM] Small message seen as too big.

Author: Philip Hazel
To: James Dehnert
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Small message seen as too big.
On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, James Dehnert wrote:

> The
> following address(es) failed:
>
>   7688655@???:
>     SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:
>     <skerns@???> SIZE=16941:
>     host marsemail01.skytel.com [204.71.163.132]:
>     552 <skerns@???>... Message size exceeds fixed maximum
> message size (10000)

[snip]

>         by cerent.com with esmtp (Exim 1.90 #2)

Changes were made after 1.90 to the way Exim handles the SIZE= parameter.

In 1.90 and earlier releases, a fixed overhead of 16K was used, to allow
for turning LF into CRLF and other things. This proved unsatisfactory,
in particular for sites which had very small limits, as you have found.
In Exim 1.91 (I'm afraid you just missed it!), the following changes were made:

11. Count the lines in the body as it is read, and preserve on the spool as
body_linecount; construct a complete message_linecount when reading in the -H
file.

12. The smtp transport now uses message_linecount to give a better
estimate of the size. It adds a fudge factor of 1024, which can be adjusted
by a private option called size_addition.

So the solution to your problem is to upgrade to the latest Exim
release, which is 2.05.