Re: [EXIM] relaying and rewriting

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Andreas Edler
CC: exim-users, Andreas Edler
Subject: Re: [EXIM] relaying and rewriting
On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Andreas Edler wrote:

> But there is a problem: Rewriting is already done during the SMTP process
> so that the first config does no longer match. :-( What can be done?
>
> We use Exim 1.90. Is this behavior changed in later versions?

>From the ChangeLog for 2.01:

  3. With sender_verify set, senders received over SMTP were getting passed
  through the rewriting rules twice. Luckily in many cases the second pass
  wouldn't have matched anything.

However, the fix is not to rewrite later if it is already rewritten
during the SMTP process, so I don't think this is going to help you.

If you set appropriate rewriting flags, you can get everything rewritten
*except* the sender address, which reduces the problem to just that
field. I can't think of any way of handling that other than something
really complicated like routing/directing all messages with that sender
address to a pipe which changes the sender and inserts them back into
Exim. Ugh.

I have made a note of the problem.